Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Week 7 Reading Diary: Chinese Fairy Tales

I chose to read the Chinese Fairy Tales unit this week.

In the story about The Favorite of Fortune and the Child of Ill Luck, it is so cool to me that the daughter saw dragons crawling out of the ears of a boy and that that meant he had good luck. I love cultural symbols like dragons in your ears!

I can't imagine my husband leaving and me not hearing anything from him for 18 years! I don't think I would be able to stay faithful to him that whole time. What if he had died or remarried? But I'm glad the princess was able to because it worked out well for her for a whole 18 days before she died. This was a funny story because it was so matter of fact.

In the story about The Cave of Beasts, its funny to me that the father's reaction to his daughters eating his eggs was to lead them to their death in the woods. He must get really angry when he's hungry. But once the daughters find precious jewels, then the father is all too happy for them to come home.

The Panther story definitely reminds me of The Three Little Pigs.

I like stories that explain everyday things that we don't think about unless prompted. In the story about Why Dog and Car Are Enemies, we learn the backstory of their relationship.

The picture of the nine-tailed fox in The Foxfire story reminds me of Pokemon.

The lifestyle and cultural that is described in The Talking Silver Foxes sounds so traditional and communal. I really like the images of the sacrifices and gatherings.

I think it's cool that the boy is homeschooled in The Retribution because I was homeschooled!

In The Night of the Battlefield, I really didn't understand why the man's body came apart. Come to think of it, I really didn't understand the story at all. Besides the dismemberment, nothing really happened.

In The Maiden Who Was Stolen Away, I liked that it reminded me of Rapunzel. I also liked that the villain was an ogre instead of a witch. This would be a fun story to retell for my storytelling assignment.

The Sorcerer of the White Lotus Lodge  really confused be because I didn't understand how the sorcerer had tricked them, which was the entire ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment