Monday, September 15, 2014

Week 5 Reading Diary: Turkish Fairy Tales

This week I chose to read the Turkish Fairy Tales unit.

The first story is about a young boy who goes on a journey in search of fear. It really seems to back up the saying "Courage is the absence of fear."

But it seems like a cop out that he wasn't afraid of corpses or sea monsters but that he was startled by a bird. I was expecting something more exciting.

I really don't understand the Wizard-Dervish story. If the dervish wanted the prince to marry his daughter, why didn't he just say so instead of beating him and carrying him all over the place.

The story of the Fish-Peri (fish fairy) reminded me a lot of Monty Python and the Holy Grail in the way that the king asked the youth to do impossible things like hatch donkeys from eggs and bring him an infant who could already walk and talk.

(Video information: "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" clip, 1975.)

The Crow-Peri story is reminiscent of the Fish-Peri story in that they have similar plot elements. It's funny to me how the king thinks its totally fine to ask the youth to run his errands. It really shows the entitled mindset of some royalty. 

The part of The Imp and the Well where the story teller talks about all of the cat's body parts is just plain silly.

I like that coffeehouses are mentioned throughout these stories. I'm not sure what an old Turkish coffeehouse would look like, but I've been picturing them like Grey Owl in Norman.

The Wizard and his Pupil might be fun to rewrite for my storytelling assignment.

The last story, Kunterbunt, certainly felt like a dream because it didn't make any sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment